Designed for those team members who have previous experience, knowledge & skills, who wish to refresh, up-date and improve their practical avalanche knowledge and search skills in the field. This course will provide:
- Theoretical training & discussion groups
- Practical skills workshops & scenarios
- Avalanche rescue training exercises
- Avalanche casualty care
In order to ensure the smooth running of the course all candidates are asked to ensure they observe the following conditions:
- All participants are requested to ensure they have transport available as the course programme will necessitate travel to and from training venues. Where possible course candidates are required to use their own vehicle.
- For insurance purposes participants are requested to sign on with their own team prior to course attendance. This is an SMR course pre-requisite.
- Participants are expected to provide their own evening meals/hill food for the duration of the course.
- Participants may be required to pay for gondola access (Lochaber) on both days a reduced cost will be negotiated by the course director, cash to be handed to group leaders late Friday evening.
- Sufficient personal equipment is required to enable candidates to operate within a winter mountainous environment, in all conditions for the duration of the course.
For your comfort and safety please to ensure you have appropriate equipment for this course.
- Personal avalanche transceiver + spare batteries
- Avalanche probe
- Snow shovel
- Team radio + spare battery
- Map of the area
|1730||Trainers meet for briefing|
|1900||Course welcome and intro||Emma Pearce|
|1915||Avalanche Avoidance||Ken Marsden|
|2000||Hasty Party and Probing||Emma and Ken|
|2045||Groups and prep for Saturday||All|
|0815||Planning exercise to set up day||Ken|
|0845||Depart for Hill|
a) The Journey
b) Transceiver Searches
c) Hasty Search techniques
|1330||Practical Skills Stations
a) Multi transceiver searches, probe line, including flags
b) Shovelling and Casualty Extraction and Packaging
Ken plus 2
Jonathon plus 2
|1900||Review of day and scene set for Sunday||Emma|
|2000||Medical – Casualty Care||Jonathon|
|0815||Avalanche Scene Management||Emma|
|0900||SARDA lecture||Tom Gilchrist|
|0945||Depart for hill|
|1030||SARDA demo||Tom & Charlie|
|1130||Recap of skills in groups||All|
|1245||Avalanche Incident exercise||All|
|1515||Depart mountain and debrief|
|1630||Course finish and trainer debrief||All|